Mission of the Area I Young Rider Program:
It is the mission of the Young Rider Program to impact the lives of young people by providing encouragement, support, training opportunities, and educational programs that promote character development and life enhancing values through the sport of Eventing. While qualification and participating in the Young Rider Championships (YRC) and other Young Rider activities through the competition year shall be an integral part of this program, the development of a team approach and participation for all program members is the ultimate goal. Safety is a primary consideration, the health and welfare of the horse is paramount.
The purpose of the program is to support and encourage Area 1 members up to the age of 25 to become involved in the sport of Eventing and perhaps continue this involvement into their adult lives as members of a US Team, volunteers at local events, coaches, trainers, competitors, and consumers of equine products.
The Area I Young Rider program encompasses a variety of friendly competitions, camps, scholarships and activities which provide the educational development necessary for a young rider’s progression. We also are the place where the USEA begins developing riders to become candidates for high performance teams competing at World Championships and the Olympics. No matter how high the dreams or goals, we are here to educate, support and encourage all Young Rider members.
How to Join
2023 at a Glance
- New for 2023, the Young Rider program will offer team challenges for all members! The challenges will take place at all overnight Area 1 events such as GMHA June HT, Genesee Valley June HT, Millbrook, GMHA Festival, GVRDC August HT, and GMHA September HT. Team members will be picked at random.
Young Rider Eventing Championships:
- Formerly known at NAJYRC, NAYRC, and the Adequan/USEF Eventing Youth Team Challenge, this annual event decide the National Young Rider Champions for 2023 for the CCI*L, CCI2*L and CCI3*L divisions.
Emerging Athlete Program:
- The purpose of the USEA Emerging Athletes 21 (EA21) Program is to identify and provide consistent quality instruction to the next generation of elite event riders. The aim is to create a pipeline for potential team riders by identifying and developing young talent, improving horsemanship and riding skills, and training and improving skills and consistency.
- Throughout 2023 the Young Rider Program will be hosting multiple educational opportunities such as clinics, symposiums, our annual camp at GMHA and mentorship opportunities with USEA Area I officials.
- Ever wondered what it took to design a Preliminary show jump course? Or why a certain cross country jump is placed in that certain spot? In 2023, our Young Riders will be given the opportunity to shadow a judge, TD, course builder, scorer, and other event officials.
YOUNG RIDER COMMITTEE:
- For the 2023 calendar year, we have put together a committee of members to help organize, plan, and create activities open to the entirety of the Area I Young Rider Program as space allows.
- We opened a new online store with Grand Impression Design to offer YR apparel and accessories for BOTH horse and rider.
Thank you to our Sponsors:
Stay Up to Date:
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and join the Young Rider Community Group today.
- View 2023 Young Rider’s Full Activity Calendar
If you would like to speak to the Area I Young Rider Coordinator, volunteer, share an idea, or get clarification – don’t hesitate to email or text. Contact the YR Coordinator today!