Applications for the USEA Emerging Athlete Program are now available. The purpose of the USEA Emerging Athletes 21 program (EA21) is to identify and provide consistent quality instruction to the next generation of elite event riders. The aim is to create a pipeline for potential team riders by identifying and developing young talent, improving horsemanship and riding skills, and training and improving skills and consistency.
“We have many talented up and coming riders in this country and we need to bridge the gap in their development as Young Riders to Professionals. The EA21 program is a huge and essential step in accomplishing that,” said EA21 Director of Coaching, David O’Connor. “This program has a vision of finding talented riders that is not just dependent on competition results, and starting them in a pipeline to gain access to the best coaching and opportunities that will develop them into not only excellent riders, but excellent horsemen/horsewomen.”
Applications are open here, and are due no later than June 17, 2022.
Athletes who meet the requirements are encouraged to apply to a regional clinic. Athletes may also be talent spotted; however, there is no guarantee that an athlete will be talent spotted.
- Applicants should be 21 years or younger per FEI standards
- Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen and a member of the USEA
- Applicants must be current members of their USEA Area Young Riders Program
- Applicants must be established at the Training level or higher (minimum of 4 MER’s at the Training level or higher)
Five venues have been selected to host EA21 Regional Clinics throughout the US: two East Coast clinics, two West Coast clinics, and one Central clinic. The eastern regional clinics will take place at Morven Park International Equestrian Center (Leesburg, Va.) on July 25-26, and at Stable View Farm (Aiken, S.C.) on the same dates of July 25-26. The central regional clinic will take place at Holly Hill Farm (Benton, La.) August 1-2, and the western regional clinics will take place at Aspen Farms (Yelm, Wash.) August 15-16, immediately followed by the clinic at Twin Rivers Ranch (Paso Robles, Calif.) August 17-18.
The USEA will cover the regional clinic cost and stabling fees for all accepted applicants. Applicants will be responsible for travel and lodging costs. Athletes will be selected by the designated selectors within their Area of membership and invited to attend one clinic.
Athletes participating in the Regional Clinics will be evaluated by a newly elected staff of ICP certified instructors and talent spotters through the USEA and USEF. Each regional EA21 clinic will have a maximum capacity of 12 riders. After the regional clinics have concluded, a select group of talented riders will be chosen from the regional clinics to participate in the national camp with EA21 Director of Coaching, David O’Connor in January, 2023.
- Competitiveness and desire to continue in the sport
- Ability and effectiveness in dressage, cross-country, show jumping
- Demonstration of horse welfare, stable management, general veterinary knowledge
- Willingness to learn from coaches, trainers, and peers
- Good sportsmanship and an ability to be a “team player”
- Ability to progress through the Performance Pathway
- Evidence of an effective work ethic
- Personal: loves horses and dedicated to the sport for the future
- Physical: athletic and coordinated
- Mental: positive attitude, willingness to learn/improve, inquisitive, competitive, educated to a level, and ability to concentrate
- Each Regional Clinic will host 12 invited participants.
- Athletes will be chosen by the designated selectors in their Area of membership.
- An applicant residing out of their Area can apply for any clinic and will be chosen by selectors from their Area of membership.
- In the event of an overflow for a clinic, qualified candidates may be invited to attend one of the other regional clinics.
- Applications are due by June 17, 2022.
- Notification of invitation will be announced around July 1, 2022.
Questions? contact Melanie Loschiavo at email@example.com